15 December 2013

Pork belly and race cars.

The new Horvath family is as busy as ever these days.  Between growing a baby and working I barely have time to relax! And Mathew has been working about 483703 hours a week.  They're so busy in the weeks leading up to Christmas that we've resorted to communicating via email during the week because he practically lives at the Folly.  Our weekends are packed with fun-filled activities that usually involve me dragging Mat to somewhere that he doesn't really want to go to but pretends to want to go because he knows I do (he's such a good husband).  And cooking. We've been doing a lot of cooking.  Let me tell you about our 5 kilo pork belly..

First of all, this is what a 5 kilo pork belly looks like.  Mat brought it home from work a couple months ago and we threw it straight in the freezer.  If we were using our brains we would have cut it up and THEN put it in the freezer. But we didn't. So we had to defrost and cook the whole 5 kilos at one time.
 We unrolled half of it and roasted it like a normal pork belly.

And left the other half rolled and roasted it.

We ate part of the rolled half for Sunday roast (yummy!) and used the rest of it plus the flat one to make yummy pasta sauce.
So now instead of a freezer full of pork we have a freezer full of pork pasta sauce! :)
Mat made me get in the Christmas spirit yesterday and buy a Christmas tree.  It's the tiniest Christmas tree in the world - only 24" tall. I love it.  
Today we rented a car and drove up to Silverstone Circuit (the Grand Prix racetrack) in Towcester.  I bought Mat a day at the track for his birthday back in September and we're just getting around to going!  The weather was absolutely miserable. Cold, rainy, windy.. but Mat had a good time pretending to be a race car driver for an hour while Baby and I braved the cold to take pictures of him in action!  



Mat in his fancy car.

Bow wow chicka wow wow!  I married a race car driver.

I have officially reached the uncomfortable stage of pregnancy.  Granted I have had a fairly easy pregnancy, which I didn't realise until after I started reading forums on What to Expect When You're Expecting.  Holy toledo these women have awful pregnancies!  Swollen everything, stretch marks, stretching bones, pelvic pressure, bed rest.. I have been quite lucky!  I've had none of those things (knock on wood).  I do feel like a beached whale and my maternity jeans are getting a bit tight on my legs but I REFUSE to buy a bigger pair. I will stuff myself into them until the bitter end!

Only one more week until Christmas. YIKES! We haven't done any shopping - mostly because we would have to pay in buttons since we have no money. Whoops! We've done quite a bit of shopping for Baby.. too bad he/she won't be here in time for Christmas because Baby is the only person we have presents for!

We walked by Nelson Mandela's statue on the South Bank the other day and it was full of flowers. Be still my heart I'm so sad that such a great man is gone.  We drove by his statue in Westminster today on our way home and it had about 4 times this many bouquets on it.  It's nice to see that he's being recognised around the world for his contribution to humanity.

That's all for now.  My brain is too tired to write anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment