12 March 2013

Tuesday

Today a few girls in my programme and I had the chance to visit a youth court to observe the morning proceedings.  To say it was a depressing experience is an understatement.  I actually cried a little bit (yes, heart-of-stone Allie actually teared up!).  It's really difficult to watch a child get sent to juvenile detention.

I've written and rewritten this post about 5 times trying to articulate my feelings about how society is failing its youth but it doesn't sound right. So I've decided to just leave it at I think society is failing its youth and it makes me very sad.

Now here's a picture of my first dim-sum experience with Mat this afternoon!  It was really yummy!  I had a vegetarian option because most dim-sum has fish in it and I just don't like to eat things that come from the ocean.  I have to say I liked the fried stuff better than the steamed stuff.. how very American of me :)

I also chopped a few inches off my hair and got some highlights at a very posh salon in Marble Arch.  I could only afford it because I bought a groupon :)

We're right in the eye of the coursework storm here.  I've been spending every waking second reading about alternative responses to child protection or pretending to write intelligent things in my dissertation about juvenile detention facilities or working on a presentation about child abuse.  Needless to say, we don't learn about many positive happy things on my course, but I am learning a lot and working really hard!  

NEWSFLASH: Hey America.. I'll be in you in a few weeks.  March 26-April 14. And I'll get to see Logan's handsome little face. CAN'T WAIT!

That's all for now because it's bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment