17 January 2013

School and college and university

Recently I had a conversation with someone and we were talking about drinking.  And I told a story and said it happened when I was "at school".. and the person looked at me incredulously.  "You did that at school?!"  I had to clarify that in America, school can refer to kindergarten-12th grade, community college, university, etc.  

In England, school is just primary (ages 4-11) and secondary school (ages 11-16), college is sixth-form (ages 16-18), and university is university.  College and university are not interchangeable like they are in America.  I seem to always forget that and refer to my entire schooling life as just 'school'.. it's a bit confusing to the Brits!

We got our first marks back.. I definitely did not do as well as I had hoped.  I need to step up my game for this next essay (aka spend every waking second in the library).  It's full speed ahead until the end of April with 2 essays, 1 book review, 1 presentation due and a dissertation to work on. BRING IT ON KING'S! 


.... this post sounds so much more confident than I actually feel about the next few months.

grad school is hard.


I did find this funny sign today on my walk through a dodgy alleyway to school (see what I mean? that should say "to university").

What is anti vandal paint? And why on earth would it be on the roof and not on the walls?  
I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment