31 January 2013

Cake and Brighton

Boiler is getting fixed as we speak... FINALLY! :)

Here's the cake Mat and I made the other day...
Okay fine I mostly just made it - I can't blame Mat really.  I know what you all are thinking though.. "Allie how can I make a cake just like that?! It looks so yummy and edible!"

Here's how you do it:
1. Use the wrong pan.  This recipe called for a tube pan, which we didn't have. So we used a normal round cake pan.
2. Completely leave out the pecans for the filling because you don't have any in the cupboard and you can't be bothered to walk to the grocery store.
3. Then, put the topping inside as the filling, and the filling on top as the topping.
4. Make the whole thing by hand rather than with a mixer as the recipe says.
5. Only bake it for 49ish minutes when the recipe says between 50-60 minutes and do it in an oven that never holds a consistent temperature.

In summary, don't follow the recipe at all and you too can have an inedible coffee cake!
Okay we actually did eat most of it. We just scooped out the batter in the middle. Most of the outside was cooked through.

You should have heard the sniggering between Mat and Paul when they realised this American recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake didn't actually have any coffee in it.  "Surely the most important ingredient in a coffee cake is coffee!  Stupid Americans!".... I tried to justify it by saying that it's a cake you eat WITH coffee but they weren't having any of that explanation.

Not a lot else to report.  We're heading to Brighton tomorrow to see Mat's brother.  Brighton is one of my favourite little (big) cities!  I just love the beach. I realise it will be freezing but I'm still excited.  

It won't be as good as the last time I was at Brighton beach with some pretty ladies though!

MISS YOU GIRLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment