18 December 2011

Last weekend in good ol' England.

Friday -
We had a laid-back morning at school.  We did some writing and played some games.  Then, we had Christmas lunch, where the teachers sit in the hall and eat with the children.  We had popped crackers (apparently an English tradition) and ate roast.  The children thought it was so exciting!  They're starting to talk about me leaving all the time.  They keep making me dot to dots, and funny little pictures and going "Miss Keys I made this for you to take back to America."  I could wallpaper my house with dot to dots.  Mom?  Thoughts?  Little Annabelle has started telling me that I'm still her very best friend, even if I'm going back to America.  Also, the moms got me a gift.  They got me mugs and an ornament, and wrote such nice things in my card.  I'm going to miss them!

Friday night we had our staff Christmas party at the reception teacher's house.  It was really nice!  We had a bring and share so there was plenty of food, and our head teacher gave us all pretty gifts.  After that I met up with Mat and we had a drink out in Dorking.

Saturday -
Kare, Mat and I got up and went up to London for the day.  We were going to see Wicked, but the tickets were too expensive.  So we walked around London and went souvenir shopping.  Then, we spent a few hours in Harrods, the most amazing store in the world.  There is absolutely nothing you can't by in Harrods.  You could buy an elephant if you wanted to!  We looked at animals, jewellery, clothes, kitchen stuff, food.. so many things!  If I had millions of pounds, I would've spent so much money there.

After that, we went to Kings Cross Station in search of Platform 9 3/4.  We failed, because you have to buy a ticket to get onto platform 9.  A later google search revealed that they've moved Platform 9 3/4 to the street outside.  Oh well.  We also went to Hyde Park to check out Winter Wonderland.  There was no chance of getting in, because it was so crowded, but we saw the lights from outside.  London is so pretty at Christmas time.

After that, Mat and I went to meet his parents for a drink at his restaurant in Waterloo.  It was Sandy's birthday, so we chatted a bit.  Then, Mat and I set out to find Jamie Oliver's new restaurant, Union Jacks.  Little did we know that would turn into an hour long journey!  Union Jacks was supposed to be on Tottenham Court Road, so we took the tube to Tottenham Court Road.  Turns out it was in Covent Garden.  Annoying.  Then, when we got there, the place was awful!  It was hidden, and empty (on a Saturday night).  The only food on the menu was "British flats" (aka pizza) and salad.  No other main courses.  And the service was bad.  It was not an enjoyable experience!  Then it cost £25 to get a cab home.  All in all, it was a frustrating night!  Today, we stayed in and watched movies, which was much less stressful.  We watched The Inbetweeners, which is hilarious, and the last Harry Potter.  It was a nice relaxing Sunday in London!  Mat had to go to work at 5, so I came back to Dorking.

It's nice to not have any planning to do for tomorrow!  We have a Christmas party tomorrow, then a nativity at church on Tuesday.  The reception children are doing the nativity at church, so that should be really cute.  Can't wait!

Here are some pictures:
Father Christmas ornaments my children made.  They look so cute on our class tree!

Really dark, but Mat and I on Millennium Bridge in London.


I think Mat and I are going to see Wicket tomorrow night.  Tuesday night we're going to eat at Jamie's Italian in London for our final dinner out (very sad).  I'm not sure what we're going to do on Wednesday!  It's hard to plan your final day in England!  Kate and I fly back Thursday morning.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment