21 September 2012

Beginning of grad school..

Holy cow what a crazy busy week!  It's been absolutely nuts.

I can't even remember what I did on Monday to be completely honest.  I did go meet Mat, Paul and Daisy for a drink after they finished work.  Then we all went to Wahaca for dinner (and it was magical, like always).  I took these lovely pictures of Mat and Paul in the tube station :)
Arguing about which route is the fastest way to get home from Waterloo Station.

"Oh you're taking our picture?  We'll like each other now."

Being boyfriends.

Tuesday I had my first King's College event!  We had international student orientation at 10 am.  I went alone, scoped out the situation and found a friend!  Her name is Amanada and she's from New York.  I also met a girl from Milwaukee, and an Italian girl.  We didn't stay for all of orientation because a lot of the stuff they were talking about didn't necessarily pertain to me since I've lived in England before.  In any case, it was a long day.

Wednesday I had registration for classes.  You basically just go in, prove you're a human being, get an ID card, and then leave.  Easy peasy.  Afterwards, I had to walk over to the Waterloo campus (where most of my classes will be) for an induction into the International Child Studies programme.  I met the director, a few lecturers, and most of my classmates (who were all very nice).  We spent all day getting information thrown at us.  Then, we actually had a lecture!  I didn't know actual class was starting, because no one else start until next week.  Good thing I remembered to bring a pen and paper!  After the lecture we had a little social hour to get to know each other.  There are 3 other Americans on my course - 1 from Georgia, 1 from Texas and 1 from New York.

After that crazy long day, I ate with Mat at Canteen, came home, and had to go to an interview at 745 in Highbury.  Here's the difference between being in America and being in London.  I googled instructions from my house to the lady's house I was going to for the interview and it was 2.6 miles.. and I legitimately thought "I should probably just walk.. it's only 2 miles."  Then I looked at the tube stations between here and there, and decided I could take the tube halfway there and walk the rest of the way.  So I did.  In America, I would never walk a mile or two miles to get anywhere!  I would definitely drive.

My interview went well!  It's for a nannying job for two little boys on Tuesdays, which would be perfect with my school schedule.  Hopefully it works out!  The mom seemed really nice.

Yesterday, I met Amanda at Barbican Station so we could go to the King's College Fresher's Fair at the Barbican Centre.  We are technically "freshers" since it's our first year, but we are definitely on a different maturity level than the actual "freshers" who are only 18.  We walked around, got loads of free stuff, signed up for a million clubs, then left!  I went to meet Mat in Covent Garden and we did some shopping - he needed new t-shirts so we ended up buying 2 pairs of shoes and some new dress shirts.  We are not good shoppers. 

When we got back home, we decided to go bowling.  When we got to the bowling alley, it was just going to be so expensive!  It costs £1 per person to get into the place, £1 per person for shoe rental, and £4.70 per game per person.  Ridiculous!  So we played pool instead.  And raced cars on those stupid arcade machines.  It was actually pretty fun :)  Then we went home and made homemade pizzas and ate them.  Mat attempted a stuffed crust pizza but it didn't turn out very well.  Not enough cheese!

Today I'm going to catch up on stuff.  I have so many things to register for and so many people to email back and call!  I also need to go to the library for the million books I need to be reading for class (I stayed up last night reading the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child - it put me right to sleep!).  And I have another interview tonight at 7 in Putney, so I need to get everything done by 5ish!  

Some final pictures - we have a cat who lives next door and comes onto our roof terrace sometimes, which is fine.  He's a nice cat.  The other morning, I look out the window and there's a fox on the roof terrace as well!  The cat sat on the steps and wouldn't let the fox go down the stairs.  It was really funny to watch, actually!
Fox trying to figure out if there's an alternate escape route.

He decided sitting in the sandbox was the best option.

Cat gave up, so the fox left too.

Alright I am off to be productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment