07 September 2011

First day of school with the kiddos

The kids came back to school today!  If you think 5 year olds in America are cute, you should see 5 year olds in England. SO much cuter!  Between the little uniforms and the little accents, I am completely smitten.  We have 26 children in our class, with the cutest little names like Eloise and Poppy.  Today we did introductions and then did stations, where we wrote sentences about what we did on our holidays.  They did the most exciting things on their holidays.. 3/4 of the class went to Spain or France.  Much more exciting than anything I do on my summer vacations!  We also did some painting and some numeracy (aka math).  The children were really well-behaved and the day went really smooth.  I'm a little worried that my Monday-Wednesday teacher has different views on discipline than I do.  I feel like she's more old school and gives a lot of empty threats ("This is the last time I'm going to tell you....").   My Thursday-Friday teacher is younger, so maybe she'll be more similar to my style.

They all asked really funny questions too.. halfway through the day and little girl looks at me and goes "Miss Keys, do you speak English?".. and later on, I asked another girl to do something and she looked at me alarmed and said "How do you know my name?" Too funny!

We also had 4 tea breaks today.. this is not a joke.  I had tea at 10 and 11.. then I got offered tea at 12:30, 3:30, AND 5.  I can't consume that much tea in one day!  I think they have a bet going to see how many cups a day I'll be drinking by the time the term is over.

When I finally got home from school, at 545, I ran to the grocery store.  It's so funny walking on the sidewalks because in America, when you meet another person on the sidewalk you move to the right.  So here, I move to the right.. but the other person always moves left and we almost walk into each other!   Then I get really weird looks.  I'm sure I'll get used to being left-brained after a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment