23 September 2011

TGIF

Even after staying home yesterday, Fridays are still just exhausting.  When my Head came in, she asked if I was sure I should be there and I said yes I'm not contagious.  And she said "I'm not worried about you being contagious.. I'm worried about how you feel!  If you feel like you need to come home any time during the day, let me know and I'll drive you home."  They are really the nicest people at my school!  All day she kept checking to make sure I didn't need to go home.  I love them.

When the children came in this morning, there were a lot of "Miss Keys, how did you get the cough?" and "Miss Keys how come you weren't here the other day?"  So cute =)  but it was all down-hill from there!  Haha.

We had a rough morning with behavior.. children that are normally so well-behaved were just being wild.  Rolling around on the carpet, yelling inside, grabbing onto each other.  Apparently it wasn't just Year 1 either.  I walked by the Head's office and she was absolutely laying into 3 Year 2 boys who were slapping each other and pulling each other's hair in line outside.  She's not a woman you want to have yelling at you!  Their little faces looked terrified.  Lesson learned I hope!  But we had some Year 1's pushing each other to the ground in front of all the Mums at the end of the day so we had to have a little chat about that.  I think they were all just really tired and cranky.

Here are some things I've been doing this week with the children:
We have a toy shop in our classroom.  Today, the children got to go choose two toys, write down how much they cost, and write down how much it would cost to buy both toys.  This worksheet was for the middle ability group.

And this one was for the high ability group.

We're learning the Enormous Turnip story, so the children were to draw a picture about the story and then write a sentence about one of the characters.  Such cute pictures (we don't have a colour copier, but they look much better in colour!)

This afternoon, a little girl found the top of an acorn outside and very seriously, came up and said "Miss Keys does this make a snail?".... "Pardon?" .... "This.  Does it make a snail?  Will a snail come out of it?" .... "Ummm.. no?".... "Oh."  *walks away*.  Where do kids get these things from?  I have gotten much better at saying "pardon?" instead of "what" because all the children have informed me that it is very rude to say "what".  So much more polite in this country!

I also learned that a band-aid is not a band-aid in England.  It's called a plaster.  And scotch tape is not scotch tape but I haven't learned what it is yet.  It's a slow process learning to speak proper English!

I think the girls and I will be going to London this weekend to tour the Tower of London.  The weather is supposed to be really nice, so that should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment