10 October 2011

Beginning of Week 6

Can't believe this is already my 6th week of student teaching (and living in England)!  Crazy.

Today was a good day at school.  I spent the morning in Reception, just to see the differences between Year R and Year 1.  SO different.  Year R is mostly child-initiated activities with written observations by adults.  Year 1 is mostly teacher-directed or teacher-initiated activities with assessments being more formal (worksheets, etc).  I don't know which type of environment I prefer, but I do like the laid-back structure of the Reception classroom.  The Year 1 children were not happy with my absence though.  One little boy told my teacher that I wasn't allowed to stay in Year R because they needed me in Year 1.  Too cute!  The Year 1s and Year 2s walked over to the church for church assembly today.  We have assembly at school everyday, but church assembly is special ( I think it's once a month?).  I didn't get to go, but they all told me it was fun.

This afternoon, I taught a PE lesson where the children had to learn how to jump off of an apparatus (a bench, a stool, etc). Yes.  I had 25 five-year-olds jumping off of things with just me in the hall.  Absolutely terrifying.  They were SO well behaved though!  I was so impressed.  I love when they're well-behaved!  Haha.

British slang of the day:
"Taking a piss" = making fun of someone
"Having a laugh" = making fun of someone
"Taking the mickey out of _______" = making them the subject of your joke (making fun of them)

1 comment: