30 October 2011

Pictures

When looking at these pictures, keep in mind that we blew our straightener the first day there, so ignore my hair.. also keep in mind that I lost my memory card from the first 2 days, so this is just the last 3.

Colosseo (aka Colosseum).  The sand part is a reconstruction, but the rest is the original thing!  Absolutely massive.

Emperor's entrance to the Colosseum. 

One of the two gladiator entrances.

Apparently if you kiss this, your sins are all forgive for 100 days or something like that.  I felt like I'd rather keep the sins instead of kissing that thing that a million other people have kissed.  Talk about germs, my goodness!

Real arch and a blind arch.  The blind arches apparently distribute the weight of the rocks above?  Or something?  Our guide said it was similar to water on an umbrella. 

Just some ruins.

In the Roman Forum.

Place where Caesar was cremated, tucked away in the Roman Forum.

Part of a villa on Palatine Hill.

On Palatine Hill.  Behind me is a hippodrome, used by Roman rulers.  Directly behind me was the only place to sit to watch the events.  Only emperors and Roman high-society (senate members, etc) were allowed to watch these events.
Better picture of the hippodrome.  On the left is where the few people sat.


Some stairs we weren't allowed to walk up.

Kate and I by Circus Maximus, with Palatine Hill in the background.  We couldn't walk in the Circus Maximus because the Italian Army was doing training exercises or something in it.

Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus, and me.

Me and Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore.. beautiful inside!

Part of the Keys clan on the Spanish Steps!

Awkward? Haha

Momma and Poppa Keys on the Spanish Steps.

That's all until I steal Kate's and Megan's memory cards from the first few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment